Monday, August 30, 2010

What am I getting myself into....

One minute I am overwhelmed enough to cry and the next, happy enough to laugh. This is the joy and curse of being a teacher. 

I am a first year middle school social studies teacher. Life does not get any more amusing than that, until you add in the twist. I teach at the middle school I attended, as well as the middle school that my mom works at. Yes, my mom and I teach in the same building, we are on the same team, we carpool to work, and yes, dare I say, we live together.  

My average day consists of waking up, getting ready, going to school, being at school, staying late, coming home, going to the gym, talking to my boyfriend on the phone, watching television with my parents, going to bed, and repeating the next day. It does not look to exciting when you put it in black and white; however, after spending one hour in the "being at school" section of my day, you will come to realize that life is the total opposite of boring, it is planned lessons that lead to unplanned/unpredictable amusing life lessons. 

Apart from teaching, one of my goals in life is to be published. I have tried numerous times to begin writing my memoir about losing weight, or my memoir of my relationships, or my memoir about college, but I realized very quickly, my life is not interesting enough to write an entire memoir, let alone get to page 3. However, I have found the loop hole. I can write on my blog, pretend people read it, and I am published. One dream down, check! 

As I go throughout my first months of teaching, I hope that my funny, sad, embarrassing, and first moments in the school can bring joy to those reading. 

    

2 comments:

  1. aw val! i can't even imagine how crazy your days are. keep it up. i wish you had been my middle school teacher haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, I love it! You're a great little writer! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete